By following this guide, you’ll learn how to connect your Firestick to Wi-Fi without a remote. This can be useful for example if you’ve taken your Firestick with you when you travel, but you’ve left the remote at home.
Table of Contents
Before You Get Started
In order to connect your Firestick to Wi-Fi without a Firestick remote, you’ll need to make sure you have the following, or this will not work.
- Firstly, you’ll need the name and password of the last Wi-Fi that your Firestick was successfully connected to.
- Secondly, you will need a device connected to the internet via Wi-Fi to create a mobile hotspot. This device can be a PC, laptop, mobile phone or tablet.
- Thirdly, you’ll need another device, either a mobile phone or a tablet.
- Lastly, you’ll need your Firestick plugged in.
How to Connect Firestick to Wi-Fi Without a Remote
The solution to this problem is to use a device to create a mobile hotspot. This can be your pc, laptop, mobile phone or tablet. So long as it is connected to the internet via Wi-Fi.
You can then connect your other mobile phone or tablet and your Firestick to the same Wi-Fi network. This will then allow you to use an app called Amazon Fire TV to control your Firestick.
The reason you need a separate device to create a mobile hotspot is becasue your device that you’ve used to the create the mobile hotspot cannot connect to its own mobile hotspot.
You need to know the name and password of the last Wi-Fi that your Firestick was connected to so that you can create your mobile hotspot with the same name and password to make your Firestick connect to it.
If that sounds a little complicated, or you’ve never used a mobile hotspot before then carry on reading this step-by-step guide to show you how. Or if you prefer, follow along with the video tutorial instead.
Step 1. Create a Mobile Hotspot
The first step is to create your mobile hotspot and change the hotspot name to the same Wi-Fi name and password that your Firestick was last connected to. In this example, I’m using a Samsung Galaxy S20 in order to to create the mobile hotspot. If you’re using a PC, laptop, tablet or iOS device, the steps will be slightly different.
Android Mobile Phone or Tablet
- Swipe down from the top of the screen and select the cog icon in the top corner.
- Select Connections.
- Choose Mobile Hotspot and Tethering.
- Tap Mobile Hotspot to enter the settings.
- Then tap the 3 dots in the top corner of the screen.
- Tap Configure Mobile Hotspot.
- Then delete what is currently showing under Network Name. Replace it with the name of the last Wi-Fi network your Firestick was connected to.
- Underneath where it says Password, delete what is currently there then enter the password to the Wi-Fi network your Firestick was last connected to.
- Tap Save. As soon as you do this and turn your mobile hotspot on, your Firestick will automatically identify it and connect to the internet.
iOS Mobile Phone or Tablet
If you’re using an iPhone or iPad, you cannot change the name of your hotspot. Instead, you will need to rename your phone.
- Go to your General Settings.
- Tap About.
- Then tap Name and change the name to last Wi-Fi that your Firestick was connected to.
- Open your Settings by pressing the Windows button and selecting Settings (cog icon).
- Select Network & Internet.
- Select Mobile Hotspot.
- Select the Edit button.
- Then enter the name of the last Wi-Fi network your Firestick was connected to.
- Then select the toggle to turn the mobile hotspot ON.
Step 2. Connect Your Other Device to Your Mobile Hotspot
Now your Firestick is connected, the second step is to connect your other device, your mobile phone or tablet to the same mobile hotspot. This device can be an Android or iOS.
- Swipe down from the top of the screen and select the cog icon.
- Select Connections.
- Find and select the mobile hotspot in order to connect to it.
- Next, go to your app store and search for an app called Amazon Fire TV.
- Install it then when you open it, it will start to automatically search for Fire TV devices located on the same network. Because you are connected to the same mobile hotspot, this will find your Firestick.
- Tap to select it from the list then you’ll be prompted to enter a PIN. Enter it and you’re now able to fully control your Amazon Firestick!
Hopefully this guide has helped you to connect your Firestick to Wi-Fi without a remote. To enjoy the benefits of your Firestick even more, why don’t you take a look at some of the following options. Download some free streaming apps, take a look at some free live TV or even discover what Kodi is and how to use it.